to the Lowcountry Area Health Education Center Web Site.
The Lowcountry Area Health Education Center (LCAHEC) is one of four regional centers
serving 12 southeastern counties in South Carolina as part of the South Carolina Area Health Education Consortium. Lowcountry AHEC is a private not-for-profit organization and a member of the South Carolina Area Health Education Consortium.
Lowcountry AHEC provides three major services to healthcare professionals and students. These include:
Continuing Education for healthcare professionals to assure the continued competency of health professionals.
Health Professions Education opportunities for health professions students to gain experience in clinical sites that are located in rural and/or medically underserved areas.
Health Careers Program programs that provide opportunities for culturally diverse high school and college students to become acquainted with a variety of healthcare careers.
In addition, Lowcountry AHEC is engaged in Community Health Partnerships. Through these collaborations, Lowcountry AHEC and various partners strive to improve the health of the citizens of its 12 counties. Some examples of collaborations in which Lowcountry AHEC is involved are:
- Lowcountry Healthy Heart Coalition, partners include DHEC Region 8, local health professionals, churches and schools.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Lowcountry Affiliate to provide grant training workshops and community outreach activities in 12 counties.
- Colleton County COACH (Coalition Organized to Address Children's Health).
- Colleton Middle School GAP After School Program to provide weekly instruction on health careers, healthy lifestyles, and obesity prevention.
SC AHEC Aims
- Improved quality of health care in South Carolina with an emphasis on primary care.
- Elimination of medically underserved areas of South Carolina.
- Achievement of population parity in South Carolina 's health professions workforce.